“The Summer Camp purpose is to struggle by strenuous effort for the betterment of manners and technique and to cultivate friendship among participants.”
The Japan Karate Association is having its 50th Annual Shotokan Karate-Do International Summer Seminar [Master Masataka Mori Memorial Camp] this year from July 10th to July 14th at Mitchell College (437 Pequot Avenue, New London, CT 06320). The registration deadline is Monday, June 3rd.
The camp instructors will be:
Mr. Shu Takahashi - 7th Dan, Chief Instructor & Chairman, SKDI
Mr. Douglas Luft - 7th Dan, Vice-Chairman, SKDI, Albany
Mr. Isami Shiroma - 7th Dan, JKA Karate Shiroma NY
Mr. Robert Jacobs - 7th Dan, Executive Director, SKDI, Univ. of CT
Mr. Eiji Toryu - 7th Dan, Secretary, SKDI, Boston
Ms. Margaret Thomas - 6th Dan, Director, SKDI, Karate Spirit, Coventry CT
- JKA HQ Standing Director and General Manager of Foreign Affairs Division
- Kata Champion, 3rd Shoto World Cup
- Kumite Champion, 29th JKA All Japan
and Mr. Chubachi Koji, 4th Dan:
JKA HQ Instructor
Kumite Champion, 13th Funakoshi
Gichin Cup World Karate-do Championship
The camp contents will be the following (see bottom of page for a full schedule):
- General Karate – Do
- Judges, Instructors, Examiners – Qualifications Practice and Test
- Kyu and Dan examinations
- Basic techniques and advanced sparring techniques
- Emphasis on basic and advanced Kata and Kata application
- Karate Self Defense.
The Goodwill Summer Camp Tournament will be held on Saturday, July 13th, from 2:30-4:00pm. The last day to register will be the day before and all camp participants are encouraged and expected to participate or attend as spectators.
The kyu examination will be held on Saturday, July 13th at 1:45pm and the dan examination will be held on Sunday, July 14th at 12:30pm. The fees will be announced one month earlier and registration for both exams will be held from 5-6pm, Wednesday through Friday in the dorm and 1:30-2:30pm (Saturday) and 11-12pm (Sunday) in the gym.
All exam applicants must have:
- Instructor permission
- Current JKA passport (Dan) or an annual membership card (Kyu)
- Complete application
- Cash in USD
JKA Qualification Course (for instructors and nidan+ students):
The tests will be held at the gym and the participation fee is $120, plus $70/$140 (exam dependent) for the exam fee and $70/$140 (exam dependent) for the registration fee.
- Paper test – Judge, Instructor and Examiner - Friday, July 12, 1:45 – 3:15 PM
- Skill test – Instructor / Examiner - Saturday, July 13, 1:45 – 3:15 PM
- Skill test – Judge - Saturday, July 13, 1:45 – 3:15 PM
|<18 years old and < brown belt||$610||$510||$410||$300||$190||$120|
|College dorm fees (room and board)||$530||$430||$330||$230||$130|
- You may check into the college dormitory on Tuesday July 9, after 5pm.
- Dormitory rooms are NOT provided with pillows, towels, linen or blankets.
- The lost key fee is $100.00 and damage deposit is $400. Due to the high price of lost keys and damage deposit this year, we will request a check deposit of $500 at sign in that will be refunded upon return of the key and room in original condition.
- Only participants paying in full for 5 days by June 3, 2019 will receive a $60 discount on the total fees
- Please make checks payable to “JKA-SKDI AMERICA, INC.”.
- Personal checks will be accepted on or before June 3, 2019. Any camp fees paid after June 3 must be paid in cash, money order or cashier’s check.
- PERSONAL CHECKS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER JUNE 3.
- Limited registration will be available at the summer camp.
- Participation of non-JKA members is welcomed.
- The camp CHECK-OUT TIME is Sunday July 14 at 4:00pm.
- Please send checks by First-Class Mail (no need for registered mail) to:
- JKA-SKDI America, Inc.
- P.O. box 150459
- Brooklyn, NY 11215-0459
- Contact Information:
- *** MEALS ARE ONLY AVAILABLE FOR THOSE STAYING ON CAMPUS ***.
- Please take advantage of less crowded training sessions during the first three days of the Seminar. As these sessions are less crowded, they tend to be more effective for the individual. To train only on the weekend is a missed opportunity.
- * If you are taking Dan exam, don’t miss the opportunity of participating in the three days of Special Dan Examination training *